Your help is needed!
Help icyroadsafety.com in awareness and education of the road ice hazard.
Follow and share the IcyRoadSafety.com Facebook and Twitter page, and subscribe to the RSS/XML feed:
- Remember that it is the light icing and snow events that are most deadly. Big ice storms and snowstorms already benefit from high public awareness and tend to have very few incidents. It's the more subtle events that cause the most accidents, deaths and injuries.
- Media professionals, you can help raise awareness by emphasizing the icing hazard when it occurs in your broadcast area - and give it the same urgency you would a tornado warning.
- National Weather Service, consider dedicating resources and facilitating operational changes to warn the public about the high danger from light icing and snow events.
- Storm chasers and spotters, consider covering light ice and snow events this winter to increase awareness of the hazard in your local area, and report dangerous icing conditions to the NWS just as you would a tornado or large hail.
- State highway departments, coordinate with the NWS during light ice and snow events and utilize resources to help warn drivers (electronic signs, email and text notifications, etc).
- and finally, and most importantly: Drivers - realize the level of danger from road icing, know the warning signs, and take action accordingly (by either postponing travel or simply slowing down). Read icyroadsafety.com for tips and information.
Together, we can make a difference!
Educational Winter Driving Videos - Watch for Free:
Home | Risk | Stats | Accident Video | Icy Bridges | Tips | Warning Signs | If You Slide | If You Wreck